Monday, March 9, 2009

One tough cookie

This post is dedicated to my Grandma Stringer. For those of you who have ever had the pleasure of meeting her, I doubt you would soon forget the encounter. She can make you laugh and she can make you cry. She is one of the hardest workers I have ever known. I guess you would have to be when you grew up on a ranch in the middle of wyoming taking care of your whole family because your mother had passed away and your father was away half of the year in california shearing sheep to earn some money.

She is 91 and healthy, physically, as a horse. She has been in an assisted living home in evanston for a couple of years. She is an onery old cuss and for the first little while she wasn't too happy to be there. This last week she has been in the hospital with pnuenomia. They didn't know what type she had and both of her lungs were full of liquid. They didn't know if she would make it through the first night, but we had a suspicion that if she really didn't want to go yet, she wouldn't and she didn't. She is getting better everyday and is a hoot to be around. She is going to relocate to Logan to have some better care. I will miss not getting to see her as much and it makes me sad she won't ever really know my baby like she knows me.

I am going to miss you Grandma when you go to Logan and when you go to your Heavenly Father. You have made my life more memorable and provided me with some awesome times. You made the best homemade chicken and noodles and creamed peas and potatoes. You raised a great mom for me and had a hand in shaping me into who I am today. I love you!



This last weekend we had Eliza's pictures taken and here are some of those and also some random pitures of her.










I love my big baby blues




Best Friends

12 comments:

Emily said...

She is darling! Her hair is getting so long. I just cut Anya's not because she had some to cut but because it was all uneven and stragley and it was driving me nuts. What did you decide to do about Easter?

allison said...

oh Grandma Stringer, I love that woman! So many memories with her also! We will keep her in our prayers! What a cutie Eliza is, I can't believe how big she's getting! We need to plan a trip to see each other! Is Josh working all next week? We are thinking of going to SLC for Spring Break and doing some snowboarding (well not me obviously). We would LOVE to see you guys sometime! I'm shutting up now.

Bree said...

Thank you thank you for changing your blog...I got a weak stomach every time I logged on. Now I get to look at my BEA--U--TI--FUL baby IZA.
By the way good job on the blog about gram...it was nice.
Love, You

Stefany said...

Oh my what a cute little bean!! I love the little black dress:)

Holly said...

I just love grandma joann! She really is the best. She is quite the tough lady. I will never forget my many memories of her! I am so sad she is moving so far from home
Eliza is such a doll. It seems like I haven't seen you guys in forever. We need to get together!

Emily K. said...

What a great tribute to such a special lady. We will keep her in our prayers as well. She is definitely one of a kind. Your baby is so darn cute, and growing so fast. You dress her up so cute, and she always looks like she's so happy. You must be a wonderful mom!

Shane and Beth said...

I wasn't able to be your Grandma Stringer's visiting teacher for very long, but she sure did make a lasting impression. I owe being a 100% visiting teacher believer to her:) She made sure we got it done. She is a wonderful woman and has left a wonderful legacy. Eliza looks darling, I LOVE the new pictures!

Marsha said...

Eliza is too cute! I knew your kids would be cute because you and Josh are cute too. I love her blue eyes; that is something we never had at our house but now we have our Kaylee!I just lost MY grandma (Mam-ma Gin in Kentucky!) a couple weeks ago. She was 94 - we are very blessed to have wise and wonderful women in our lives aren't we? Hopefully I will live to see my grand-daughter turn 50 like Mam-ma did!

Emily said...

Ok,so I am pretty sure it is 20lbs and 1 to be front facing. But to be honest, I am pretty sure that was the reason for her getting sick. Because it was her first time facing forward. I bought one that is bigger than her infant seat (because her little feet were hanging over the edge) and can be set either forwards or backwards, but it didn't fit backwards on the bus. If you are going to put her forward I would be sure to test it out before the big trip just to be sure! Also, I think that they sleep way better in the rearfacing ones so you may want to take that into consideration. Ok that is all! Good Luck!

Kristie Taylor said...

Awww.... Just love those pics of Eliza! We will remember to keep your grandma stringer in our prayers. :)

Kristy & Miguel said...

Your little girl is adorable.. she looks just like Josh!

Anne said...

I took care of your little granny on Saturday! She is the sweetest thing and sure loves to talk. She was so excited that I was from Lyman. We talked and talked about her ranch, her wonderful family, and her cute granddaughter that I went to school with. She was the highlight of my day and I hope I get called in again to be her nurse. :)